Sunday, March 21, 2010

PARTNERSHIP: Bottomline of Marriage

As I was studying the different parts of speech, I've come to realize that the most important noun is LOVE... and the most important verb is also LOVE.

This brings me to my senses that when two people are in love they want to share each other's gift of love. Such act of sharing is an act of love. Love that binds the lovers into loving each other until the end of time. The binding that makes them one --- one hand, one heart, one soul.

With this, the man doesn't just become a husband, and the woman a wife --- but they become PARTNERS... and partnership is sharing all what is there to share --- through thick and thin --- in sickness and in health --- 'til the end of time.

Do you remember the movie Madrasta --- starring Christopher de Leon and Sharon Cuneta. During Christopher's lowest moments because of the problems in the family – about his children --- Sharon wanted to share on how to deal with the problems but Christopher insisted on solving the problems alone--- not minding the feelings of his PARTNER.

As the movie was approaching its climax, it was Sharon's moment to bring out how she felt having been discounted. She said... “ Yan lang naman ang papel ko sa buhay mo. Taga-laba, taga-luto, taga-handa ng mga gamit mo... Wala kang pakialam kung ano ang nararamdaman ko tuwing niri-reject mo ang mga saloobin ko...” (That’s just my role in your life. A washerwoman, a cook, an organizer of your things…You don’t care about how I feel every time you reject me.)

Then came the climax. Sharon told Christopher....”I have never been your partner. I'm just your wife.”

Truly, marriage is a state of life when a husband and a wife vow for everlasting commitment to live together in harmony --- may it be during the best of times, the worst of times, or even in the season of despair... 'til death do them part.

1 comment:

  1. This one's a very heavy post. As usual... well written! Love it!

    I've seen Madrasta and I have to say that it's one of the best tagalog films (yet).

    Maxi of:
    Ovah' Coffee
    The Pastime Shelf

    ReplyDelete